In this episode we have Andrew Fairlie from Mutual to discuss the new European Union General Data Protection Regulation aka the GDPR. We discuss what the GDPR means specifically to web designers and developers both in terms of the work we do, and the work proposals we draft.
We discuss the GDPR from a gestalt perspective, to get an understanding of what the general intent of the law is, and also discuss what it means to people outside of the EU, as well as to EU citizens.
Then we get down to brass tacks in terms of what this means for our contact forms, website notices, cookie storage/notices, and other changes we need to make to be compliant. Actionable things that we need to be thinking about and doing now.
- EU GDPR Information Portal
- Wikipedia: General Data Protection Regulation
- Who does the data protection law apply to?
- Most GDPR emails unnecessary and some illegal, say experts
- GDPR will pop the adtech bubble
- Wikipedia: 1995 Data Protection Directive
- Craft CMS: GDPR: What You Need to Know
- Example cookie consent matrix
- Example cookie disclosure (EU EDPS)
- Searchable text of GDPR (via Algolia)
- Mutual on Twitter